Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The password is "butter."

Thanksgiving was so lovely. I was terrified at first, since the BFF's family was driving in from the WV for it, and in the couple of days before the big day, BFF contracted some form of flu that knocked her off her feet. I thought I might have to manage the cooking myself.

But the BFF recovered enough to share in the cooking. We produced:

A chicken massaged and basted in butter and herbs, with wine
Gorgonzola mashed potatoes (a touch of bacon fat is the secret)
Macaroni and cheese casserole (my special recipe)
Asparagus with balsamic reduction
Maple pear turnover
Chocolate cream cheese pie

The only thing that did not have butter in it was the asparagus. We believe in moderation.

There was one tragedy for the day: the turnover turned over too soon, right onto the kitchen floor. We were able to rescue a piece of it. It was delicious. (Mmmmm... linoleum tile...)

Despite the piles of sleep, pleasurable eating, and socializing I got over the long holiday, I am desperately tired. My back feels like a maze of knots. I've got this cyclops headache over my left eye. Etc. Etc. Whine. Whine. Etc. Whine.

I can see break coming (last day of classes is tomorrow, one long day of meetings the day after, and presto!), but even so, I'm not feeling it, altogether. Over break, I must finish my chapter, begin the next, write the syllabus for my new freshman comp class, and apply for fellowships (because, otherwise it's teaching hell to try to make ends meet). There will be a trip home somewhere in this, as well.

I can also see that I am losing motivation for this whole grad school endeavor. The only thing that circulates in my head these days is a loop of "I'm so tired, I'm so tired, I'm so tired." I'm not sure what to do about it either. I would rather take a nap and then lose myself in the cooking of things with butter. My chocolate pie is hard to achieve, but it never fails to please. No red ink or bitter tears in the making of it.

No comments: